Thursday, April 10, 2014

THE LONG AND WINDING ROAD


It was one of those turning point times in life, where you can see a big curve in the road and have absolutely no idea what’s coming. My youngest was just over a year from entering Kindergarten, and I was starting to imagine what life could be like with all 3 kids in full-time school. 


What the hell was I going to do with my life?

The Kidlets
I knew that I couldn’t just putter my time away, that I would need purpose to my days (some income would be nice too, right?). And I wanted to be someone my kids could see as an active participant in the world. Not ‘just their mom’. And I ultimately wanted a ‘thing’ of my own, something to engage my mind and my creativity. I had spent 10 years working on my homelife…now it was time to find ‘my’ life.

The kicker being that I’d been a stay-at-home mom/wife for 10 years, longer than I had been in the workforce pre-kids! So what was going to be next for me? I thought about all kinds of stuff* – dog walker, nanny, fitness instructor, office administrator; my mind went all over the place and nothing stuck.

*see previous comment regarding my university degree. In Biology. Ya. Not super helpful at this point.

But in that spring of 2013 a whole bunch of ideas kinda percolated together in my mind until one day it became THE idea. An idea that wouldn’t disappear, wouldn’t let go of my brain.

Fabriken - so cute, right?
I wanted to own and run a small, local corner store/coffee shop that could become a centrepoint for the neghbourhood, a focus for the community, a place to get a cup of coffee and buy some emergency milk.


Boom.

No comments:

Post a Comment